David Smilde is a senior fellow at WOLA specializing in Venezuela. He teaches sociology at the University of Georgia and moderates the WOLA Venezuela Forum blog. His research focuses on social movements, human rights and culture in Venezuela. He is currently working on a book manuscript called Venezuela’s Transition to Socialism: Politics and Human Rights under Chávez, 2008-2012.
Professor Smilde has researched Venezuela for the past twenty years. He has taught at the Universidad Central de Venezuela and the Universidad Católica Ándres Bello. From 2010-2012 he was the Chair of the Venezuelan Studies Section of the Latin American Studies Association.
Professor Smilde’s edited volume (with Daniel Hellinger) Venezuela’s Bolivarian Democracy: Participation, Politics and Culture under Chávez (Duke 2011) looks at forms of citizen participation in contemporary Venezuela. His book (with Margarita Lopez Maya and Keta Stephany) Protesta y Cultura en Venezuela: Los Marcos de Acción Colectiva en 1999 (FACES-UCV 2002) looks at Street protest in the first year of the Chávez government.
- Ph.D University of Chicago
- MA University of Chicago
- BA Calvin College
“Participation, Politics and Culture: Emerging Fragments of Venezuela's Bolivarian Democracy.” In David Smilde and Daniel Hellinger (eds). Venezuela’s Bolivarian Democracy: Participation, Politics and Culture under Chávez. Durham: Duke University Press. 2011
“State and Society in Socialist Venezuela.” Review essay of Sujatha Fernandes’, Who Can Stop the Drums: Urban Social Movements in Chávez´s Venezuela. Contexts. 2011
“Three Stages in the Chavez Government’s Approach to Participation,” Understanding Populism and Political Participation: The Case of Venezuela. Adam T. Stubitts (ed). Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Latin American Program. Washington D.C. 2008
“The Social Structure of Hugo Chávez,” Contexts, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 38–43. 2008
“Popular Publics: Street Protest and Plaza Preachers in Caracas.” International Review of Social History vol.49, Supplement pp.179-195. 2004.
"Los Evangélicos y La Polarización: La Moralización de la Política y la Politización de la Religión" Revista Venezolana de Economía y Ciencias Sociales, 2004, vol. 10, n° 2, (May-August 2004) pp.163-179.
“Protagonismo Cultural desde la Pobreza: Respuesta a Mikel de Viana.” Revista Venezolana de Economía y Ciencias Sociales, 7:1 (January-April 2001) pp.45-64.
- Financial Times - February 24, 2014 - Venezuela as Ukraine?
- CNN - February 23, 2014 - Can Venezuela's socialist government survive wave of protests?
- Mother Jones - February 21, 2014 - Has Venezuela Turned Into a War Zone?
- Newsweek - February 21, 2014 - Leopoldo López Gives Venezuela the Image of a Revolutionary Who Has It All
- Time - February 21, 2014 - Venezuela's Protests Shake the Regime Chávez Built
- The Christian Science Monitor - February 21, 2014 - Venezuela's protests: The who, what, and why
- The Christian Science Monitor - February 20, 2014 - Will Venezuela's Protests Fizzle Out?
- Al Jazeera America - February 19, 2014 - Venezuela unrest energizes opposition
- The Christian Science Monitor - February 19, 2014 - How are Venezuela's media covering the protests?
- USA Today - February 19, 2014 - Social media key for Venezuelan protesters
- The Guardian - February 19, 2014 - Venezuela violence continues after arrest of Leopoldo López
- New York Times - February 18, 2014 - Venezuelan Protest Leader Jabs at Government on the Streets and Online
- Foreign Policy - February 18, 2014 - Head in the Sand
- Wall Street Journal - February 18, 2014 - Venezuelan Opposition Leader Surrenders to Authorities
- The Guardian - February 18, 2014 - US Support for Regime Change in Venezuela is a Mistake
- USA Today - February 18, 2014 - A Harvard Educated Star Emerges in Caracas Protests
- BBC News - February 18, 2014 - Leopoldo Lopez: Venezuela's maverick opposition leader
- Wall Street Journal - February 17, 2014 - Venezuela Expels U.S. Diplomats as Opposition Pressure Builds
- Financial Times - February 16, 2014 - Fears grow of Venezuela media crackdown after protest killings
- USA Today - February 16, 2014 - Venezuelan Opposition Leader Says He'll Turn Himself In
- Reuters - February 15, 2014 - Venezuela frees some student protesters, unrest continues
- Bloomberg - February 14, 2014 - Venezuelans Blocked on Twitter as Opposition Protests Mount
- USA Today - February 13, 2014 - Venezuelans in shock over protest deaths
- BBC Mundo - February 5, 2014 - ¿Por qué hay que hacer tanta fila en Venezuela?
- Associated Press - January 16, 2014 - Motorcycles swarm Venezuela's capital in protest
- Associated Press - January 10, 2014 - Venezuelans Pay Last Respects to Slain Actress
- Time - January 9, 2014 - Death of Former Beauty Queen Prompts Soul-Searching, Anger in Venezuela
- BBC Mundo - January 9, 2014 - Venezuela: cómo es vivir en un país con violencia rampante
- The Christian Science Monitor - January 8, 2014 - Miss Venezuela murder enrages nation. But what will be done?
- NPR Morning Edition - January 6, 2014 - Venezuela's Department of Happiness Criticized
- NPR Morning Edition - December 11, 2013 - Venezuela's Maduro Declares 'Great Victory' After Elections
- The Christian Science Monitor - December 9, 2013 - Why is Venezuela's President Maduro happy about mayoral races?
- Associated Press - December 8, 2013 - Venezuela's Maduro Bolstered by Election Results
- BBC News - December 6, 2013 - High stakes in Venezuela's municipal elections
- BBC Mundo - December 3, 2013 - Qué hace que la corrupción en Venezuela sea única
- The Christian Science Monitor - November 20, 2013 - Echoing Chávez, Venezuela's Maduro given decree powers
- WBEZ Worldview - November 19, 2013 - Interview with David Smilde
- Associated Press - November 13, 2013 - Venezuela Appliances Crackdown Spurs Uncertainty
- Reuters - November 9, 2013 - Maduro government 'occupies' Venezuela electronics chain
- Los Angeles Times - November 7, 2013 - In Venezuela, a presidential decree brings Christmas early
- Reuters - October 4, 2013 - Venezuela's Maduro stuck in shadow of 'El Comandante' Chavez
- USA Today - October 3, 2013 - Venezuelans blame government for power blackouts
- The Christian Science Monitor - September 9, 2013 - Six months after Chávez, military still plays strong role in Venezuela
- The Christian Science Monitor - August 7, 2013 - Gun control: Can Venezuela regulate the flow of arms?
- CNN - July 13, 2013 - Is Snowden worth the risk? Latin America weighs the pros and cons
- The Christian Science Monitor - June 24, 2013 - Could Snowden make Ecuador's leader 'the new Chávez?'
- Fox News Latino - June 24, 2013 - Edward Snowden scandal could create a rift in U.S.-Latin American relations
- Politico - June 23, 2013 - On Edward Snowden's travel, no good options for President Obama
- Al Jazeera - June 13, 2013 - What is behind Venezuela's food shortages?
- The Christian Science Monitor - June 12, 2013 - Venezuela's Maduro victory upheld in audit - but opposition says fight not over
- ABC News Univision - May 21, 2013 - Socialist TV Host Says Chavistas Want to Overthrow Maduro
- The Washington Post - May 1, 2013 - Venezuelan opposition protests vote
- USA Today - April 15, 2013 - Venezuela's Maduro narrowly wins presidency
- Associated Press - April 14, 2013 - Venezuela's choice: Chávez heir or fresh start
- Al Jazeera - April 13, 2013 - Ruling a post-Chávez Venezuela
- Latin Pulse - April 12, 2013 - Pre-Election Politics in Venezuela
- The Christian Science Monitor - April 11, 2013 - Think Chávez was paranoid? Venezuela's Maduro warns of US-funded biker gangs
- USA Today - April 11, 2013 - Even in death, Chávez shadows Venezuela's vote
- Foreign Policy - April 9, 2013 - An Election for the Birds
- The Christian Science Monitor - April 2, 2013 - Venezuela presidential election: lack of the issues becomes the issue
- Financial Times - April 2, 2013 - Chávez casts shadow on Venezuela poll
- Associated Press - March 29, 2013 - Venezuela: Candidatos hacen campaña en Semana Santa
- Associated Press - March 29, 2013 - Sparks fly in short campaign in Venezuela
- Associated Press - March 11, 2013 - Venezuela's political divisions, even after Chávez, spill into city streets
- Fox News Latino - March 10, 2013 - Post Chávez Election Puts Focuses Back on Opposition Leader Henrique Capriles
- Associated Press - March 10, 2013 - Venezuela candidate: Govt exploits Chávez death
- The Nation - March 8, 2013 - What Next for Venezuela, After Chávez?
- Inter Press Service- March 8, 2013 - EE.UU. ve oportunidad de acercamiento con Venezuela
- ABC News Univision - March 7, 2013 - After Hugo Chávez Who Will Lead in Latin America?
- Bloomberg Businessweek - March 5, 2013 - Venezuela Expels Two U.S. Officials as Chávez's Health Worsens
- BBC News - March 2, 2013 - Venezuela on edge over Hugo Chávez health rumours
- The Christian Science Monitor - March 1, 2013 - Hugo Chávez's Venezuela: What does the political and economic future hold?
- The Washington Post - February 18, 2013 - Ailing Hugo Chávez makes a surprise return to Venezuela
- The Christian Science Monitor - January 28, 2013 - Venezuela's fourth prison riot in two years raises questions
- The New York Times - January 3, 2013 - Fight Crime, Respect the Poor
- ABC News Univision - October 10, 2012 - What's Next for Venezuela?
- About WOLA
- Get Involved