David Smilde is a senior fellow at WOLA specializing in Venezuela. He teaches sociology at the University of Georgia and moderates the WOLA Venezuela Forum blog. His research focuses on social movements, human rights and culture in Venezuela. He is currently working on a book manuscript called Venezuela’s Transition to Socialism: Politics and Human Rights under Chávez, 2008-2012.
Professor Smilde has researched Venezuela for the past twenty years and lived there for a total of ten years. He has taught at the Universidad Central de Venezuela and the Universidad Católica Ándres Bello. From 2010-2012 he was the Chair of the Venezuelan Studies Section of the Latin American Studies Association.
Professor Smilde’s edited volume (with Daniel Hellinger) Venezuela’s Bolivarian Democracy: Participation, Politics and Culture under Chávez (Duke 2011) looks at forms of citizen participation in contemporary Venezuela. His book (with Margarita Lopez Maya and Keta Stephany) Protesta y Cultura en Venezuela: Los Marcos de Acción Colectiva en 1999 (FACES-UCV 2002) looks at Street protest in the first year of the Chávez government.
- Ph.D University of Chicago
- MA University of Chicago
- BA Calvin College
“Participation, Politics and Culture: Emerging Fragments of Venezuela's Bolivarian Democracy.” In David Smilde and Daniel Hellinger (eds). Venezuela’s Bolivarian Democracy: Participation, Politics and Culture under Chávez. Durham: Duke University Press. 2011
“State and Society in Socialist Venezuela.” Review essay of Sujatha Fernandes’, Who Can Stop the Drums: Urban Social Movements in Chávez´s Venezuela. Contexts. 2011
“Three Stages in the Chavez Government’s Approach to Participation,” Understanding Populism and Political Participation: The Case of Venezuela. Adam T. Stubitts (ed). Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, Latin American Program. Washington D.C. 2008
“The Social Structure of Hugo Chávez,” Contexts, Vol. 7, No. 1, pp. 38–43. 2008
“Popular Publics: Street Protest and Plaza Preachers in Caracas.” International Review of Social History vol.49, Supplement pp.179-195. 2004.
"Los Evangélicos y La Polarización: La Moralización de la Política y la Politización de la Religión" Revista Venezolana de Economía y Ciencias Sociales, 2004, vol. 10, n° 2, (May-August 2004) pp.163-179.
“Protagonismo Cultural desde la Pobreza: Respuesta a Mikel de Viana.” Revista Venezolana de Economía y Ciencias Sociales, 7:1 (January-April 2001) pp.45-64.
- The Christian Science Monitor - August 7, 2013 - Gun control: Can Venezuela regulate the flow of arms?
- CNN - July 13, 2013 - Is Snowden worth the risk? Latin America weighs the pros and cons
- The Christian Science Monitor - June 24, 2013 - Could Snowden make Ecuador's leader 'the new Chávez?'
- Fox News Latino - June 24, 2013 - Edward Snowden scandal could create a rift in U.S.-Latin American relations
- Politico - June 23, 2013 - On Edward Snowden's travel, no good options for President Obama
- Al Jazeera - June 13, 2013 - What is behind Venezuela's food shortages?
- The Christian Science Monitor - June 12, 2013 - Venezuela's Maduro victory upheld in audit - but opposition says fight not over
- ABC News Univision - May 21, 2013 - Socialist TV Host Says Chavistas Want to Overthrow Maduro
- The Washington Post - May 1, 2013 - Venezuelan opposition protests vote
- USA Today - April 15, 2013 - Venezuela's Maduro narrowly wins presidency
- Associated Press - April 14, 2013 - Venezuela's choice: Chávez heir or fresh start
- Al Jazeera - April 13, 2013 - Ruling a post-Chávez Venezuela
- Latin Pulse - April 12, 2013 - Pre-Election Politics in Venezuela
- The Christian Science Monitor - April 11, 2013 - Think Chávez was paranoid? Venezuela's Maduro warns of US-funded biker gangs
- USA Today - April 11, 2013 - Even in death, Chávez shadows Venezuela's vote
- Foreign Policy - April 9, 2013 - An Election for the Birds
- The Christian Science Monitor - April 2, 2013 - Venezuela presidential election: lack of the issues becomes the issue
- Financial Times - April 2, 2013 - Chávez casts shadow on Venezuela poll
- Associated Press - March 29, 2013 - Venezuela: Candidatos hacen campaña en Semana Santa
- Associated Press - March 29, 2013 - Sparks fly in short campaign in Venezuela
- Associated Press - March 11, 2013 - Venezuela's political divisions, even after Chávez, spill into city streets
- Fox News Latino - March 10, 2013 - Post Chávez Election Puts Focuses Back on Opposition Leader Henrique Capriles
- Associated Press - March 10, 2013 - Venezuela candidate: Govt exploits Chávez death
- The Nation - March 8, 2013 - What Next for Venezuela, After Chávez?
- Inter Press Service- March 8, 2013 - EE.UU. ve oportunidad de acercamiento con Venezuela
- ABC News Univision - March 7, 2013 - After Hugo Chávez Who Will Lead in Latin America?
- Bloomberg Businessweek - March 5, 2013 - Venezuela Expels Two U.S. Officials as Chávez's Health Worsens
- BBC News - March 2, 2013 - Venezuela on edge over Hugo Chávez health rumours
- The Christian Science Monitor - March 1, 2013 - Hugo Chávez's Venezuela: What does the political and economic future hold?
- The Washington Post - February 18, 2013 - Ailing Hugo Chávez makes a surprise return to Venezuela
- The Christian Science Monitor - January 28, 2013 - Venezuela's fourth prison riot in two years raises questions
- The New York Times - January 3, 2013 - Fight Crime, Respect the Poor
- ABC News Univision - October 10, 2012 - What's Next for Venezuela?
- About WOLA
- Get Involved