Jo-Marie Burt is a senior fellow at WOLA specializing in Peru. She teaches political science at George Mason University, where she is currently acting co-director of the Center for Global Studies. Her research focuses on political violence and state power, human rights and transitional justice, and social movements in Latin America.
She currently directs a research project on efforts to prosecute perpetrators of grave human rights violations committed in the context of Peru’s internal armed conflict (for more information see the project website at http://rightsperu.net) and in Latin America more broadly.
Professor Burt has worked closely with human rights organizations in Latin America and the U.S., including Peru’s National Human Rights Coordinator and the Institute for Legal Defense (IDL). In 2002-3, she worked as a researcher for the Peruvian Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
She was an international observer for WOLA to the trial of former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori, who in 2009 was convicted for his role in grave human rights violations. In 2010, she was the “Alberto Flores Galindo” Visiting Professor at the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru.
Professor Burt’s book, Silencing Civil Society: Political Violence and the Authoritarian State in Peru is a definitive study of insurgent violence and the state’s brutal counter-insurgency methods. She co-edited Politics in the Andes: Identity, Conflict, Reform, which covers such topics as diversity, drug trafficking and political change. She is currently writing a book about the Fujimori trial. She writes about Peruvian politics at http://acontracorriente.lamula.pe/ and http://www.noticiasser.pe/contracorriente and on Twitter at @jomaburt.
- Ph.D.Columbia University
- M.A.Columbia University
- B.A.College of the Holy Cross
- New York Times - April 10, 2016 - Keiko Fujimori, Ex-President’s Daughter, Heads to Runoff in Peru
- The Guardian - March 1, 2016 - Justice at last for Guatemalan women as military officers jailed for sexual slavery
- NPR - February 3, 2016 - Guatemalan Military Officials Stand Trial For Sexual Violence
- The Guardian - February 1, 2016 - Guatemalan soldiers to answer civil war sexual slavery charges in historic trial
- Huffington Post - January 15, 2016 - Ghosts of Past Violence Haunt New President of Guatemala
- New York Times - January 6, 2016 - Guatemala Arrests Former Military Officers in Connection With Massacres
- Christian Science Monitor - December 3, 2015 - Berenson: Convicted American leaves Peru where terrorism's shadow persists
- El Peruano - November 16, 2015 - WOLA destaca creacion de registro de victimas de las esterilizaciones
- Andina - November 15, 2015 - WOLA: Es imprescindible individualizar responsabilidades por esterilizaciones
- Public Radio International - September 4, 2015 - Guatemala wakes up to a president gone, but it still has much to protest
- America Otherwise - August 17, 2015 - 7 Military Trial in Peru, Contract Labor at the World Bank, and Protests in Ecuador
- El Comercio - August 14, 2015 - Caso Accomarca: familiares de víctimas pidieron justicia
- Andina - July 9, 2015 - WOLA: hábeas corpus es una medida desesperada de Fujimori
- The Huffington Post - December 29, 2014 - New Genocide Trial in Guatemala?
- Foreign Policy in Focus - December 29, 2014 - Guatemalan Genocide Trial Set to Resume
- The Washington Post - December 14, 2014 - What makes patriots perpetrators of torture?
- The Nation - December 12, 2014 - Latin America's Lesson for the U.S.: Prosecute the Torturers
- La República - November 7, 2014 - WOLA: Revisión de la condena de Alberto Fujimori no debe proceder
- Andina - November 6, 2014 - WOLA: No es procedente una revisión de la sentencia a Fujimori
- Proceso - August 23, 2014 - Larga lucha contra la impunidad
- Crónica Viva - August 4, 2014 - ANP, organizaciones de DDHH y familiares de Jaime Ayala exigen justicia para periodista
- La República - July 10, 2014 - Carlincaturas
- La Mula - July 8, 2014 - Organizaciones internacionales piden destitución de Urresti
- EFE - July 8, 2014 - Grupos de derechos humanos cuestionan nombramiento de ministro en Perú
- Al Jazeera - May 11, 2014 - Guatemala marks genocide conviction
- CNN - May 7, 2014 - A year after genocide trial, has justice been done?
- El Comercio - April 22, 2014 - El abogado del ex-presidente del Perú, Alberto Fujimori, pide anular sentencia
- EFE - April 22, 2014 - Poder judicial peruano recibió el recurso de revisión de sentencia de Fujimori
- Andina - April 22, 2014 - No hay prueba nueva que justifique revisión de sentencia a Fujimori, afirma WOLA
- McClatchy DC - February 25, 2014 - Guatemala may be about to oust Rios Montt prosecutor
- Andina - February 2, 2014 - WOLA: Existe amplia evidencia que esterilizaciones forzadas fueron política de Estado
- Noticias Ser - January 16, 2014 - WOLA expresa su preocupación por controvertida ley que exime de responsabilidad penal a policías y militares
- Terra - November 18, 2013 - Organizaciones de derechos humanos rechazan eventual amnistía a Ríos Montt
- EFE - November 18, 2013 - FIDH y WOLA, preocupadas por posible amnistía a Ríos Montt en Guatemala
- Al Jazeera - October 29, 2013 - Slow justice for Peru's disappeared
- Associated Press - September 3, 2013 - Unhealed from Peru's bloody conflict are legion a decade after truth commission's report
- La República (Peru) - August 6, 2013 - WOLA expresó preocupación sobre posible interferencia en caso Chavín de Huántar
- Terra - June 7, 2013 - WOLA felicita al Perú por decisión de no indultar a Fujimori
- Al Jazeera - May 11, 2013 - Guatemalans hail historic genocide verdict
- Los Angeles Times - April 25, 2013 - Guatemala high court apparently restarts ex-dictator's trial
- The Christian Science Monitor - April 18, 2013 - Guatemalan court faces calls to halt former dictator's genocide trial
- Al Jazeera - March 30, 2013 - The bones tell the story: The search for Peru's missing
- La República (Peru) - November 2, 2012 - Critican al sistema de justicia peruano en casos de violaciones a derechos humanos
- Time - November 3, 2011 - Sins of the Cold War: When Will All of Latin America Find Justice?
- AFP - June 6, 2011 - Ollanta Humala success shines light on 'the other Peru'
- Newseek en Español - May 30, 2011 - La opción del mal menor
- CNN - April 12, 2011 - Peruvian candidate rallies in shadow of former strongman
- Time - April 11, 2011 - Peru Runoff: Coup Leader vs. Convict's Daughter
- La República (Peru) - January 30, 2011 - Pocos quieren ese indulto
- Bloomberg - January 4, 2010 - Peru Upholds 25-Year Sentence Against Fujimori
“Accounting for Murder: The Contested Narratives of the Life and Death of María Elena Moyano,” in The Memory Market in Latin America, edited by Leigh Payne and Ksenija Bilbija. (Durham, NC: Duke University Press, forthcoming 2011).
“Accountability After Atrocity in Peru: The Trial of Former President Albert Fujimori in Comparative Perspective,” In Phil Clark et al., Taking Stock of Transitional Justice: Tensions, Trends and Future Directions (London: Intersentia Press, forthcoming 2011.)
“Impunity and Accountability: Human Rights and Transitional Justice Struggles in Latin America,”in Katherine Hite and Mark Ungar, eds.,Human Rights: Challenges of the Past and Challenges for the Future (Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars, Under review by press)
“Los usos y abusos de la memoria de María Elena Moyano,”A Contracorriente, 2010
Violencia y autoritarismo en el Perú: bajo la sombra de Sendero y la dictadura de Fujimori, 2009
“Guilty as Charged: The Trial of former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori for Grave Violations of Human Rights,” International Journal of Transitional Justice, 2009
“The Political Uses of Terror: The Case of Peru” in Playing Politics with Terrorism, George Kassimeris, Ed. New York: Columbia University Press, 2008
Silencing Civil Society: Political Violence and the Authoritarian State in Peru, 2007
“ ‘Quien habla es terrorista’: The Political Use of Fear in Fujimori’s Peru,” Latin American Research Review, 2006
Politics in the Andes: Identity, Conflict and Reform. Co-edited with Philip Mauceri, 2004
- About WOLA
- Get Involved