Jo-Marie Burt is a senior fellow at WOLA specializing in Peru. She teaches political science at George Mason University, where she is currently acting co-director of the Center for Global Studies. Her research focuses on political violence and state power, human rights and transitional justice, and social movements in Latin America.
She currently directs a research project on efforts to prosecute perpetrators of grave human rights violations committed in the context of Peru’s internal armed conflict (for more information see the project website at http://rightsperu.net) and in Latin America more broadly.
Professor Burt has worked closely with human rights organizations in Latin America and the U.S., including Peru’s National Human Rights Coordinator and the Institute for Legal Defense (IDL). In 2002-3, she worked as a researcher for the Peruvian Truth and Reconciliation Commission.
She was an international observer for WOLA to the trial of former Peruvian president Alberto Fujimori, who in 2009 was convicted for his role in grave human rights violations. In 2010, she was the “Alberto Flores Galindo” Visiting Professor at the Pontifical Catholic University of Peru.
Professor Burt’s book, Silencing Civil Society: Political Violence and the Authoritarian State in Peru is a definitive study of insurgent violence and the state’s brutal counter-insurgency methods. She co-edited Politics in the Andes: Identity, Conflict, Reform, which covers such topics as diversity, drug trafficking and political change. She is currently writing a book about the Fujimori trial. She writes about Peruvian politics at http://acontracorriente.lamula.pe/ and http://www.noticiasser.pe/contracorriente and on Twitter at @jomaburt.
- Ph.D.Columbia University
- M.A.Columbia University
- B.A.College of the Holy Cross
“Accounting for Murder: The Contested Narratives of the Life and Death of María Elena Moyano,” in The Memory Market in Latin America, edited by Leigh Payne and Ksenija Bilbija. (Durham, NC: Duke University Press, forthcoming 2011).
“Accountability After Atrocity in Peru: The Trial of Former President Albert Fujimori in Comparative Perspective,” In Phil Clark et al., Taking Stock of Transitional Justice: Tensions, Trends and Future Directions (London: Intersentia Press, forthcoming 2011.)
“Impunity and Accountability: Human Rights and Transitional Justice Struggles in Latin America,”in Katherine Hite and Mark Ungar, eds.,Human Rights: Challenges of the Past and Challenges for the Future (Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars, Under review by press)
“Los usos y abusos de la memoria de María Elena Moyano,”A Contracorriente, 2010
Violencia y autoritarismo en el Perú: bajo la sombra de Sendero y la dictadura de Fujimori, 2009
“Guilty as Charged: The Trial of former Peruvian President Alberto Fujimori for Grave Violations of Human Rights,” International Journal of Transitional Justice, 2009
“The Political Uses of Terror: The Case of Peru” in Playing Politics with Terrorism, George Kassimeris, Ed. New York: Columbia University Press, 2008
Silencing Civil Society: Political Violence and the Authoritarian State in Peru, 2007
“ ‘Quien habla es terrorista’: The Political Use of Fear in Fujimori’s Peru,” Latin American Research Review, 2006
Politics in the Andes: Identity, Conflict and Reform. Co-edited with Philip Mauceri, 2004
- Al Jazeera - October 29, 2013 - Slow justice for Peru's disappeared
- Associated Press - September 3, 2013 - Unhealed from Peru's bloody conflict are legion a decade after truth commission's report
- La República (Peru) - August 6, 2013 - WOLA expresó preocupación sobre posible interferencia en caso Chavín de Huántar
- Terra - June 7, 2013 - WOLA felicita al Perú por decisión de no indultar a Fujimori
- Al Jazeera - May 11, 2013 - Guatemalans hail historic genocide verdict
- Los Angeles Times - April 25, 2013 - Guatemala high court apparently restarts ex-dictator's trial
- The Christian Science Monitor - April 18, 2013 - Guatemalan court faces calls to halt former dictator's genocide trial
- Al Jazeera - March 30, 2013 - The bones tell the story: The search for Peru's missing
- La República (Peru) - November 2, 2012 - Critican al sistema de justicia peruano en casos de violaciones a derechos humanos
- Time - November 3, 2011 - Sins of the Cold War: When Will All of Latin America Find Justice?
- AFP - June 6, 2011 - Ollanta Humala success shines light on 'the other Peru'
- Newseek en Español - May 30, 2011 - La opción del mal menor
- CNN - April 12, 2011 - Peruvian candidate rallies in shadow of former strongman
- Time - April 11, 2011 - Peru Runoff: Coup Leader vs. Convict's Daughter
- La República (Peru) - January 30, 2011 - Pocos quieren ese indulto
- Bloomberg - January 4, 2010 - Peru Upholds 25-Year Sentence Against Fujimori
- About WOLA
- Get Involved