Join the Oslo Academy of Global Governance at the Centre for Development and the Environment (SUM, University of Oslo) and the Washington Office on Latin America (WOLA) for a webinar event:
As Venezuela’s crisis deepens, the search for solutions becomes more urgent by the day. Join leading Venezuela scholars in a webinar to discuss political, economic, and social analyses of the crisis featured in a special issue of the European Review of Latin American and Caribbean Studies (ERLACS) on the crisis in Venezuela. Through nine articles on the deterioration of democracy, the economy and citizen’s security, and internationally sponsored processes to address it, the issue applies comparative methods and academic perspectives to open new debates on the drivers, transitions and pathways out of Venezuela’s crisis.
Thursday, June 4, 2020
Eastern Standard Time: 9:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
Central European Time: 3:00 p.m.-6:00 p.m.
Register to receive the webinar link
Part 1: Democratic deterioration and the prospects for a negotiated solution
Time: 9:00 a.m.-10:30 a.m. EST / 3:00 p.m.-4:30 p.m. CET
- Introduction: Antulio Rosales & Benedicte Bull
- Francisco Alfaro: Political archipelagos in a storm: Coalitions, actors and autocratization.
- Leiv Marsteintredet: With the cards stacked against you: Challenges to a negotiated transition to democracy in Venezuela
- Javier Corrales: Democratic backsliding through electoral irregularities: The case of Venezuela
- David Smilde and Geoff Ramsey: International peacemaking in Venezuela’s intractable conflict
Part 2: Economic and security crisis in a changing world order
Time: 11:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m. EST / 5:00 p.m.-6:30 p.m. CET
- Natalia Gan: Rule of law crisis, militarization of citizen security, and effects on human rights in Venezuela
- Tom Legler: A story within a story: Venezuela’s crisis, regional actors, and Western hemispheric order upheaval
- Alejandro Cardozo Uzcátegui and Víctor Mijares: The versatile amalgam: Interests and corruption in Russia-Venezuelan relation
- Benedicte Bull & Antulio Rosales: Into the shadows: Sanctions, rentierism, and economic informalization in Venezuela